Social workers help people solve and cope with problems in their everyday lives. One group of social workers—clinical social workers—also diagnose and treat mental, behavioral, and emotional issues. Provides individual, family and group social work counseling and other social work interventions to psychiatric hospital patients and has the primary responsibility for discharge plans.
- Job responsibilities: Provide individual evaluation and assessment, treatment and discharge planning, couseling, documentation of services and act as a liaison.
- Important Qualities: compassion, collaborative skills, idependent, flexibility, organized, and a good listener.
- Other career opportunities: individual therapy, physical rehabilitation, return-to-work programs, vocational rehabilitation, medical offices, research and academia
Notes from Kristy:
- Quote: "This is really an episode of care for patients not, that we want to get them back into their community, back to their life. That feels good..."
- Rewards: Working with a client one-on-one to accept a discharge and moving a client to a safe community
- Advice: Treat patients as individuals